Friday, September 2, 2011

Review: Blood Bound, by Rachel Vincent

Blood Bound
By blood, by word, by magic…
Most can't touch the power. But Liv Warren is special— a paranormal tracker who follows the scent of blood.
Liv makes her own rules, and the most important one is trust no one.
But when her friend's daughter goes missing, Liv has no choice but to find the girl. Thanks to a childhood oath, Liv can't rest until the child is home safe. But that means trusting Cam Caballero, the former lover forbidden to her.
Bound by oath and lost in desire for a man she cannot have, Liv is racing to save the child from a dark criminal underworld where secrets, lies, trauma and danger lurk around every corner…every touch…every kiss.
And more blood will be spilled before it's over…
(From GoodReads)

My Review

Alright. I have mulled this book over in my mind for over two days now, deciding how to write this review. The conclusion I have come to is that no matter how much I go on and on about Blood Bound, I won't be able to do it justice. Not even close. I don't want to give anything about the book away, so in a sense, my hands are tied. So, take everything I say, and multiply it by 1000. Maybe then you'll get a sense of how much I loved Blood Bound.

For starters, Rachel Vincent has to be a freaking genius to have created this world! Authors like her must be able to access a part of their brain I don't think I even have. The set-up for the world of Blood Bound allows for a level of mind-games that completely blew me away. This is an intricate world, with so many rules, or threads, that each have their own consequences if broken. The different threads that make up the story are woven so beautifully, but the story remains tangle-free.  Really, you would think as complex as this set-up could get, the story would get confusing. But Vincent has a way of laying everything out, that the scenario never becomes too difficult to grasp. And she is able to do all that without over-explaining. And the story of Blood Bound never stops evolving. Just when I thought every possible scenario was solved, the author would throw another wrench in the plot. This book kept me guessing until the very end.

Blood Bound has two main characters, Liv and Cam. The story is told through alternating viewpoints, which I love because I love to know where both characters are coming from. To be able to see a scene from Liv's vantage point and then Cam's kept me enlightened into both of their motivations. Cam and Liv are a fantastic duo. I love their characters individually, and love them even more as they form an uneasy partnership. Any faulty move by Cam or Liv can get one of both of them killed. The lengths that these two go to in protecting the other is boggling.  In the wrong hands, their actions or words might come across as cold or thoughtless, but in Vincent's hands they are virtually flawless.

Gosh, I could really keep going, but I don't want this to start sounding like a dissertation. Sitting here, I can't think of one thing that I did not love about this book. Each character, each scenario is pinpoint perfect. It's like Rachel Vincent aimed for the bull's-eye and hit dead center. Blood Bound is a twisted, tangled web of loyalties, desires, and love.  The possibilities moving forward into the next book of the series, Shadow Bound, are virtually limitless.

Favorite Quotes:

"Being with her was like holding a bomb in both hands, watching the numbers tick back toward zero. I knew she'd eventually explode, and this time it might kill me."

" ' I don't care what you've heard, I do not kill people for money!' Much. Anymore."
You can find Blood Bound at:

Mass Market Paperback, US, 463 pages
Published August 23rd 2011 by Mira


You can find Rachel Vincent at her website.

* I won this book in a giveaway by the author, with no obligation to review.*




















5 comments:

  1. Oooh, I want to read this.. I wanted to read it before, now I really have to!. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. April-
    I started reading totally not knowing what to expect b/c alli had read by Rachel Vincent were her YA books. But this book really exceeded all expectations! Thanks for stopping by to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review!! I love this "For starters, Rachel Vincent has to be a freaking genius to have created this world! Authors like her must be able to access a part of their brain I don't think I even have. The set-up for the world of Blood Bound allows for a level of mind-games that completely blew me away." Perfect way to describe it =)

    *sigh* I want to read this book so much it sounds amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ana Lucia-

    Thanks! I'm beginning to realize that Rachel Vincent is in a class of her own!

    I think I saw that you entered the giveaway? Maybe you'll pick Blood Bound if you win. :-)

    Thanks for stopping by to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I just finished this book a few days ago and I freakin' loved it! What a page turner and what a fantastic start to this trilogy. I've read all of her books and I just love her writing :-)

    I'm a new follower :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are bloggy food. Feed me!

Recent Post